Swiss Village East Board Meeting
Saturday April 12, 2014
10:00 a.m. Ralph Crosslin’s Home
I. Call to Order – The meeting was called to order at 10:05 a.m.
II. Roll Call
A. Board Members – Present: Ralph Crosslin, Heidi Shaffer, Mike Sherman, Lonne Petroskey; By Phone: Allen Wolf, Bob Durga and Doug Meyers; Absent: William Woltz
B. Others Present – Nancy Crosslin
III. Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes – Minutes were not available at this time.
IV. Affirm 2014 Officers
A. President – Ralph Crosslin
B. Vice President – Doug Meyers
C. Secretary – William Woltz
D. Treasurer – Lonne Petroskey
Moved by Heidi, second by Lonne to affirm officers previously elected via email. Motion passed.
V. Treasurer’s Report
A. Financial Report – Lonne presented the financial report. Lonne provided the 2013 Final Report and Year-end summary via email in January. Motion by Heidi, second by Ralph to approve financial report as presented. Motion passed.
B. Dues Update - No dues update at this time. Lonne will provide an update at the next meeting.
VI. Old Business
1. Discussion but no action taken on development of trails in the common areas, erosion of hillside adjacent to power line easement due to recreational vehicles and toboggan run.
2. Lonne is awaiting a proposal from Trees North for mowing and spring cleanup. Consensus of Board is that past performance of Trees North was acceptable and contract should be renewed following review of contracted services.
3. Consensus of Board is that snow removal service provided by Northern Trees was acceptable particularly given the extreme winter weather this year.
4. Heidi will meet with Allen in May to get the SVE Newsletter back on track.
VII. New Business
A. Paving Assessments – Lonne explained the supplemental payment made to Kearny Township to retire bonds sold to fund paving of roads on behalf of SVEPOA. (See excerpt below from Lonne’s email of 3/13/14.)
I recently received a call from the Kearney Township Treasurer concerning the bond issue for road paving. The bonds will be paid off this year with a final payment of $20,000 plus interest of $500 for the bonds plus some back interest to the county in the amount of $397.22 for a total due of $20,897.22 . There is a balance in the bond account of $18,330.94, leaving a shortage of $2,567.83. Kearney Township is asking SVEPOA to pay this amount to close out the bond assessment.
Payment was necessary due to funds not collected from lot owners whose property(s) were sold at tax sales. Given the positive relationship between SVE, local townships and Antrim County, the Board authorized payment as the most expeditious means of closing out the bond assessment. Approval was given via email prior to the April 12, 2014 meeting. Regarding the paving project, Allen paid tribute to George Johnson, who personally contacted SVE property owners, eventually securing approval of the 51% threshold required for the project to proceed.
B. Vacant Board Seat(s) – Lonne will contact a potential replacement for one of the two current vacancies on the board. Allen will advertise the openings via the email distribution list. The Board has authority to appoint members to vacancies which occur midterm.
C. Meeting Schedule
1. Next Meeting : July 12, 2014 - 10:00 a.m. at the Children’s Park Pavilion
2. Annual Meeting : October 18, 2014 – 10:00 a.m. at the Ski Patrol Building
VIII. July Picnic – The Annual Picnic: July 12, 2014 – 12:00 Noon at the Children’s Park Pavilion
IX. VIII. Adjournment – Moved by Heidi, second by Lonne to adjourn. Motion passed.
Respectfully submitted by Ralph Crosslin for William Woltz